Email marketing isn’t just an option for SMBs these days–it’s a must. Any growth-oriented business with an online presence knows that email marketing is the most affordable and effective way to scale. And live chat software helps get pre-qualified leads for your email lists. But if you’re spending more time adjusting templates and sitting in marketing meetings than you are creating responsive campaigns and improving them in real time, then you’re missing out on a big opportunity.
Last month we showed you how to grow your email list with live chat. Now, in true ClickDesk fashion, we’ve put our own spin on the classic email marketing checklist by turning it around the way we help turn businesses around with live chat, by focusing on the customer first.
ClickDesk’s Live Chat Email Marketing Checklist
1. Listen: Live chat isn’t just about answering questions, it’s really about listening to your customers and interacting with them just like you would in a brick-and-mortar store. And every successful email marketing campaign starts with listening, not shouting. We can’t overemphasize the fact that you should do this first. Whether you’re starting your first email list or creating a new one, listening should happen first. First understand how customers see your business, then you can set clear goals for your email campaign.
2. Research: When chatting with your web visitors, don’t be afraid to admit that you don’t know the answer. If a customer asks a question you can’t answer immediately, offer to follow up personally (by email!). If your own product managers can’t provide an answer, check out the amazing array of online resources such as Quora and GrowthHackers, where business owners and entrepreneurs help each other out. Any customer question that demands extra time for research is the perfect next subject for your email marketing campaign. Use it ASAP.
3. Respond: Whichever email marketing plugin you’re using with ClickDesk live chat, you can use a system shortcut to add chat visitors to email lists (or remove them from one list and add them to another). When you do this, let the customer know. They are 3x more likely to open email messages from your company if you tell them which list you’re subscribing them to and why you think they would like it. In psychology this is known as the “gift-giving” trigger.
4. Segment: Not every potential lead will be interested in every aspect of your business, and that’s okay. Use chat triggers and proactive rules to show targeted chat invites to web visitors, then when you capture their email from a chat form or chat survey, add them to a mailing list with a theme related to the page they were on when they responded to the proactive message.
5. Personalize: Effective personalization will be different for each business. Sometimes a customer name in the email subject works best, sometimes “secret” personalization that shows content related to a customer’s browsing habits (or shopping cart for ecommerce businesses) will deliver the most conversions in email campaigns. Do simple A/B experiments to see what works best with your customers, then repeat whatever works. Of course, your options for personalization will depend on which apps you’re using to power your email marketing, but either way, as long as your chosen tool integrates with ClickDesk, you’ll be able to see customer info during chats, so you can follow up on personalized emails in real time.
6. Automate: Marketing automation is no longer only accessible to the Fortune 500, so there’s no excuse not to take advantage of these powerful tools. Why does automation work? Because it benefits both the company and the consumer. In fact, companies that automate emails are 133% more likely to send email messages that coincide with the purchase cycle of their customers.** Integrate your marketing automation software with ClickDesk for complete customer engagement 24/7. It’s not a replacement for “traditional” email campaigns such as email newsletters. Instead, it’s a targeted supplement that can provide dramatically higher conversion rates.
With such a wide range of email marketing integration partners to choose from, ClickDesk customers often ask us which marketing apps to use. The truth is that it depends on your business. We would love to hear about your email marketing successes using live chat and connecting it with your entire suite of sales and marketing tools. Leave a comment or drop us a line.
** Source: Lenskold Group